Active Ingredient - Reclaim Your Power!

Walking. Bicycling. Alternatives to Driving Everywhere. Social justice. Alternatives to suburban boredom and waste. And the infrastructure, technology, and societal changes needed to get there.

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

All in all it's just another brick: Big tech is starting to feel brittle

Seemingly unrelated items:

1. Apple deorbits iTunes for Windows. While the music I ripped to it years ago still plays for now, the iTunes Music Store purchases I made no longer play there or anywhere, unless I sign up for an Apple Music subscription.

2. My credit union updatres its Web site and changes name, and suddenly a Venmo transaction in mid-processing simply disappears, with no credit back to the sender.

3. The Wall Street Journal Web site print function regularly fails, or requires me to switch from one browser to another. And I'm a paying subscriber.

4. Facebook now regularly blocks me for posting too fast. Appeals fall on deaf ears.

5. Web sites such as Fox News want me to provide an email address just to read a story. Even though the content is free.

Cory Doctorow calls all this the enshittifcation of the internet. To me, it's increasingly brittleness of tech. And fraudsters lurk at every turn to con us. Eventually, it's all trending toward uselessness and lost value. (Such as the inability to easily listen to music I still own on physical media, but can no longer copy at a high bit rate and small size.)

Your mileage may vary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home